Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Confession of Digression - Monday, March 21, 2005


Confession of Digression
I guess I really went off the deep end with the recent entries of the Navy and the Annapolis. I really did have a great opportunity to see the world when I was in the Navy. Thanks Uncle Sam. I experienced some good times, and some bad times. I often felt guilty, as one often does, listening on the radios while our grunts on patrol were pounding rice paddies, trudging the central highlands and beating down the razor sharp jungle bush calling for help. ( which we gladly sent air strikes off the HANCOCK, CORAL SEA and from Clark AFB. ) I know we did our part, but although we were in IT, we were OUT of it. I didn't think I deserved to be where I was in comparison to the guys "in country". It was strange thinking that my friend, ( B. Bickes) would be on the other end of the radio. I wanted it to be me instead of him. He made SGT. in the field running recon and S & D missions. I really miss By. I don't know, exacty, why we drifted apart after we both married and came home. That's just the way it goes. I was his best man when he & MB married. He was mine. Life got wierd for all of us. Many veterans got marrried and later experienced divorce for different reasons. Changes took place and now what we've got here are deep memories. Sometimes too painful to bring up. It conjures up a lot of stuff. More of realizing that there are innocent lives that lie in our wake.I will get back on track and continue this saga. I will get back to the purpose and intent. as stated in the first post. There is so much to say - so much to share. Does anybody really care, though?
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 4:22 PM 2 comments
Saturday, March 19, 2005

USS LAFFEY DD - 724
The USS LAFFEY DD - 724 - I remembered that this ship was in Venice, Italy with the Seventh Fleet when I was there. I was in Saint Marks Square ( Piazza de San Marco ) and the sailors from the Laffey were involved in a great stir. The Laffey has a great wartime history.
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 4:51 PM 0 comments

GULF OF TONKIN 1969
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 3:47 PM 0 comments

ANNABOAT - Gulf of Tonkin 1968
Aboard - Dec '68 - '71Yokosuka, Japan - Subic Bay,Philippines - South China Sea -Gulf of Tonkin, VietnamMeKong Delta, VietnamSingapore, Mauritius, Africa, Portugal, Spain, Palma Mallorca, Italy, Greece andPhiladelphia Naval Shipyard USAUSS Annapolis AGMR-1
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 1:06 PM 0 comments
Sunday, March 13, 2005

Coast Guard Cutter INGHAM CG - 35
INGHAM CG - 35 At Patriots Point, SC
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 6:34 PM 0 comments

Old Sea Bag - Cap - Ribbons
Just returned from a trip to Charleston, SC to The USS YORKTOWN ( CV 10 ) http://navysite.de/cv/cv10.htm and www.patriotspoint.org- Will and I went with other scouts and families from Pack 459. We toured the Submarine USS CLAMAGORE ( SS 343 ) and the Destroyer USS LAFFEY ( DD-724 ). There was a Coast Guard Cutter there too the USS INGHAM. ( CG-35 ).I went aboard Friday night with my old seabag, my old blue ball cap from the ANNA BOAT USS ANNAPOLIS ( AGMR-1) Even had my ribbons attached to the side of my cap. It raised a few eyebrows. The sea bag has all my ports-of-call stenciled on the sides. I was crushed that there was no OOD ( officer of the day ) to salute, but I did manage to get in a salute to the fantail when we came aboard. You are supposed to salute the fantail when coming onboard, because that's where the American Flag is flying. Will and I were near the front of the long line. People wondered ,"What he stopping for"? .... just old times sake, I guess - plus it was the right thing to do. Back in those old swaggering days I usually had come aboard from liberty call with a buddy or two in tow. Question remains, "Who was towing who?", but that's yet another story.It was really great being aboard a ship again. The YORKTOWN has a great and proud history in WWII and after. The original USS YORKTOWN CV-5 was sunk by the Japanese in the battle of Midway 1942 in the Pacific. The keel was laid for USS YORKTOWN CV 10 on 1 DEC 1941 just 6 days prior to Peal Harbor Attack 1941. She was commissioined in 1943. She served in VietNam during the same time I was there. She was decommissioned in 1970.The carriers I was working with then were the CORAL SEA , the HANCOCK , and the KITTY HAWK.There was a true to scale Vietnam Support Base Camp at Patriots Point as well. Inside the Naval Support Base we saw 2 Hueys - Ammo Dump - River Patrol Boat - Tower - Com Shack - Mess Hall - Perimeter Posts - Jeep - Fox Holes - and Bunks. It reminded me of the support bases at DaNang and Cam Rahn Bay in South Vietnam, only smaller.We made some GREAT memories. Pictures to follow later.USS Yorktown CV-10
posted by Michael Allen -MRAGLENBROOK at 3:01 PM 0 comments
About Me

Name:Michael Allen
Location:Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
Lairdcliffe,Trout Fishing (Tallulah River-Chattahoochee River), North Georgia Mountains, Camp Rainey Mountain, Scouting, Stephen's Ministry,NGTD70, Kalalau Lookout(NaPali Coast Kauai), Balcony at Waikiki. Hanalei Bay Whales from Princeville. Glenbrook our home/our haven.
View my complete profile
Previous Posts
Here is a quote, I like, and it speaks loud and cl...
Will Update
I am Back -
Clarification
Confession of Digression
USS LAFFEY DD - 724
GULF OF TONKIN 1969
ANNABOAT - Gulf of Tonkin 1968
Coast Guard Cutter INGHAM CG - 35
Old Sea Bag - Cap - Ribbons
Archives
February 2005
March 2005
November 2005
December 2005
This is a paragraph of text that could go in the sidebar.
-->

No comments: